Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Bell Jar


I am reading The Bell Jar (this very edition shown) by Sylvia Plath for my book club this month, and though I am not finished with it, I am utterly fascinated with it, and by her-to the point that I willingly read the forward to the book just to know more about it. My only thought is that I cannot believe that it too me so long to get around to reading it.

This woman has such an amazing voice, it sounds as if she could have been writing the book today, speaking to a young woman today, telling her fears and doldrums, a remarkable feat for a book written in the 1960's when women held such a different place in society when compared to today. Though I have not yet reached the tragic part of the novel, her hints at a character's unraveling are stunning. I recommend.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails