Sunday, July 31, 2011

Natural Watersliding

Over 4th of July weekend, I had the opportunity to go natural water sliding. Have you been wondering what the heck that is since I posted it? Well, it's basically what it sounds like. You sit at the top of a creek bed, positioned in the current of the water flow, and wait to be sucked down the "slide" a smooth rock path the water has worn. You go through a couple deep pools and end in a little natural whirlpool. That's me at the top of the first slide!
In other words, its every little girl's dream. Or mine at least, I have always thought about how cool it would be to water slide in nature, or to float down a small, gentle waterfall, but until last year I didn't think it was possible. Then last Autumn I visited Ohiopyle State Park with my sister for a hike, and we came across a sign for natural water slides. I have been imagining what it would be like ever since. This summer when I went for a visit, it was at the top of my list of things to do.

In reality, natural water sliding wasn't exactly what I had imagined. Call me spoiled from years of riding down perfectly smooth plastic tubes, but sliding over smooth rock surfaces can do a number on your toes and knees if you don't have the proper attire. I recommend water shoes and some spandex pants to avoid scrapes. And, it was slightly terrifying (in a good, exhilarating kind of way) to be totally under the control of the current. Water is strong, and the pull of the current was more forceful than anything I could have swam against. All in all, it was a great adrenaline rush. Will I hurry to do it next time I'm in Pittsburgh? Probably not. Have I checked it off my bucket list? Certainly.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails