Sunday, May 23, 2010

A guilty pleasure


Call it what you will. Yard Saling, Garage Saling, often a little bit of both. I love it. You wander from lawn to lawn, and rifle through people's old belongings that they no longer want. Many look down upon it, and think it's weird. But I like to take the change to bargain hunt and search for hidden gems whatever chance I get (which, living in NYC, isn't very often). It's a great place to find expensive items, like bikes or furniture for deeply discounted prices, and often just gently used. It's really just how the world got rid of all their old junk before the advent of Craig's List.

I was upstate this weekend kicking off summer at my grandparent's house, and my Gram and I went out cruising for sales saturday morning. It was a beautiful day. There was a neighborhood wide sale going on. We traipsed from lawn to lawn for hours. There were furniture, flat screens, bikes, clothes, books, jewelry. Yet not a single jigsaw puzzle in sight. That was what started my penchant for yard sales, my equal love for puzzles.

I came out of the venture with the gorgeous 2 sided pendant you see above for only 10 cents! And two books, an Anita Shreve novel for the beach, and The Valley of the Dolls, all without dipping further than my change purse. You can't beat that for cheap thrills, and the beauty of it all is you never know what you'll find!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails