Tuesday, October 20, 2009

*Blatant Musical Style Rip Off Alert*

Take a listen to "Fireflies," the big hit off of Owl City's Ocean Eyes album. It has been on the VH1 top 20 countdown for the past few weeks. The first time I heard it, it rang some bells. The second time, I realized what that strange feeling of deja vu was. It sounds exactly like a Postal Service track, but happier.

I took a survey of my friends to see if it was just me, or if the similarity was real. The responses I got were: "YES!!"

"That isn't a postal service song? I really thought he just got happier, no lie."

AND, "I've totally said that before."

The results are in, I am not alone. I haven't listened to the rest of the album, and although "Fireflies" is incredibly catchy, because of its resemblance to a favorite band of mine, I do not want to. I mean, really, be a little original. If I were the Postal Service, I would sue. I will not listen to an album of poser songs, and if I had a say, I would vote it off the top 20 countdown just for its lack of originality.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails