Wednesday, April 21, 2010

How old is your soul...

I always find it interesting when I hear people described as “old souls.” It’s an intriguing term reserved for people with an air of wisdom and maturity that far exceeds their age or life experience. The only explanation for their peculiar knowledge of this world can only be that their soul acquired this learning in lives past. It’s a rather alluring. You think of people with “old souls” as interesting, unique, not quite like all the others. I’ve heard young starlets like Scarlett Johannson described as such (whether I agree or not). I think of old souls as people who are slightly unnerving in their ability to perceive and understand. It always seems like it would be a compliment to be called an old soul. You are mysterious, clever, and have a grasp on things that not everyone does.

This website characterized old souls as having these characteristics:
• Giving and caring often putting others first
• More than likely had a soulmate relationship
• Somehow know you're different
• Have some psychic intuition and 'just knowing' things
• Find that you have deeper emotions and passions than most people
• People have extreme reactions to you - some just adore you and some seem to really dislike you yet you behave the same to everyone
• Have an inner creative passion
• Suffer lots of jealousy
• Feel your don't have much free will, like your life is being controlled by some outside force

Sounds appealing, right?


And yet, I think that if I had to guess at my soul’s age, that I’d probably be a rather young one (though this website rated my soul “Mature”). I have a tendency to feel and act younger than my age. I find most things amusing. I like to take on the world with a child-like wonder. There are always things to learn and discover, and some of them are pretty darn amazing. If you are too “adult” to oooh and ahhh over things why bother experiencing them? Sometimes I have a hard time taking things seriously. I still think that going on the swings or rolling down a hill is really really fun, and I love to play video games. Give me a really sugary drink and some cotton candy and I’m happy as a clam. Let me wear neon pink while eating it, even better. I enjoy being silly, and I don’t see why I should have to stop just because I get older. Maybe this attitude is really what makes my soul "Mature" and not quite old yet.

Today, wearing a flowery dress and a pony tail to work I felt like I was about 5 years old, pretending to be a grown up at work. Though I do have a real job, and real responsibilities, sometimes I look around and wonder how I’m old enough to be here, actually an adult. I still tend to feel like the same person I was when I just graduated high school and college, just much smarter. I was talking to my Gram about this one day, and she admitted that she still feels the same as she did when she was in her 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. Now she just has an older body, but not an older mind. I’m not going to lie, it was kind of a relief that you don’t morph into someone different when you get older.

There has been a disturbing trend I’ve noticed among people my age lately. Everyone is complaining about being 25 and being soooooo old (myself included). They say they just like to go to bed early, and stay in, and be healthy. Which, I agree, are all good things. I go to bed much earlier than I did when I was 21, but if I absolutely have to, I am totally capable of functioning on 2 or 3 hours of sleep. I eat much healthier than I did when I was 21, but sometimes a bag of combos and a glass of champagne is still dinner. I don’t go to nearly as many parties, or go to bars as frequently as when I was 21, but I prefer to go out—even if it is to the movies or for a walk along the river—just the same amount.

I have one main gripe. I’ve noticed that people are starting to use “being old” as a synonym for “being boring.” Turning 25 does not suddenly sap the life out of you. In fact, as women, this is one of the points in your life when you are most able and energetic. That’s why these are prime child-bearing years in the biological clock time line, because your body is young, healthy, and energetic enough to chase around the crazy little bundles that kids turn out to be. Turning 25 does not mean your fun life is over. I know many 30 year olds who party much harder and more often than I do. Though your definitions of fun may change through the years, getting older certainly does not mean giving up fun, at least it shouldn’t. That’s not being an old soul, that’s just being an old fart. How are you going to gain the wisdom of the world if you don’t get out there and take it on?

I mean we’re only as young as we feel right?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails