Sunday, April 25, 2010

Topsy Turvy Planter

This weekend I planted some tomatoes, but not in the traditional sense of sticking some seedlings in a pot. No, in true NYC fashion the only growing place I have besides my window sill is my fire escape. It is south facing, and gets lots of morning and afternoon sun. I don't want to clutter it up with a giant pot, so in a way that I'm not sure is entirely NYFD approved, but much less cumbersome than ceramic planters, I decided tether a topsy turvy planter to the steps.

The plants dangle upside down, attached to the escape with an S-hook and some galvanized wire. The roots grow upwards through the about 10 pounds of soil it took to fill up the planter. I planted 2 plants in hopes of lots and lots of tomatoes. There is nothing like a sun ripened tomato in the summer time. The store bought ones just don't hold a candle to em. It eliminates the need for stakes and tomato cages, and with all the rain we've been getting lately, as an added bonus I don't even have to water them! Homegrown tomatoes here I come!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails