Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Catch a Fire: Spread your good deeds


If you're a daily candy NYC reader, you may have heard of this already. It's a website engineered to match professionals and the skills they have to offer to a selection of non-profits in need of your help. Catchafire takes the guesswork out of volunteering.

I know that I have been looking for a place to volunteer for a couple years. I know the skills I can offer. I'm good with people. I can write and edit. I love animals. I can use tools. I'm not afraid to get a little sweaty and dirty while volunteering. I know my passions: fighting domestic violence, women's rights, saving animals, fighting poverty and inequality.

Yet, there are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of non-profit and volunteer organizations in NYC. Even when I spent some time googling and found organizations that sounded like they matched my interests, they either were looking for too much of a time commitment or the roles of the volunteers needed weren't really what I was looking for.

It was becoming a full-time job trying to find a place to spend time outside of work, doing some good for my community. Then I open my email this morning to find the solution to my predicament. This website takes your skills, and matches them for you. And it works with you to fit volunteering into your schedule. Now that Halloween is over, it's time to start celebrating my next favorite holiday season, Christmastime! And in the spirit of the season, I'm joining to look for places to volunteer today.

1 comment:

plumrelk@gmail.com said...

Hi there!

Thanks for writing about Catchafire! I am the Communications and Marketing Lead at Catchafire. I came across your blog post and was impressed! Thanks for supporting us.

I hope we can find a great volunteer project that suits you.

Best,
Emily

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails