Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Summer, Don't Go!

Yesterday I wore boots to work, actual shoes, with socks and closed toes and a long sleeved dress. It filled me with a sense of sadness and dread very fitting for the cloudy, rainy day. Lately there has been a nip of cool air at night, and the distinct feeling that summer’s heat is over. My friends are excited. They hated the heat wave, and welcome long pants and fall’s crisp air.

But to me? Summer is a time to be carefree, the months of vacation and swimming that we itch for all year long, the season we look forward to like giddy little kids getting out of school. I’m just not ready for it to end quite yet. I don’t even have a tan! I want endless sunshine filled days stretching before me to yawn away on park blankets in sundresses. It is my favorite season to dress for, where a fluttery top, or flowing skirt will do for any occasion. I want to be in the ocean more. I want to wear shorts and eat ice cream cones. I am not ready for falling leaves, and getting out of work in the dark.

So here’s a little ode to summer and its relaxation for you. Don’t go quite yet!
------------------------------------ 
Sweet Summer
by Wayne Jarus

The boats adrift in the harbour
As thoughts in a calm mind
A liquid sun beaming today and forever
We hoard happiness a smile at a time

As thoughts in a calm mind
Finding respite in cool shade
A liquid sun beaming today and forever
Butterflies flutter in a golden haze

Finding respite in cool shade
In this pastel world of light and shadows
Butterflies flutter in a golden haze
And crickets sing in motionless meadows

Oh sweet summer stay and sleep
A liquid sun beaming today and forever
Lingering dreams and afternoons of heat
The boats adrift in the harbour.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails