Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Countdown to my latest milestone


I’m turning 25 this year. It’s a milestone birthday to me, even though hallmark doesn’t seem to think so—there are no birthday cards celebrating it, I checked. It seems like a nice round number. It is hopefully approximately ¼ of my total life span. And, now, I can legally rent and drive rented cars. WOOO! Not as fun as legally being able to drink alcohol, I admit, but since most birthdays seem like they’ll be down hill from this point forward, I’ll take the cheap thrills where I can get em. It’s the perfect year for assessing where you’re at in life, and where you want to be (hence all of the life pondering I’ve been doing here lately).

At 25, you’re no longer a child (or young 20 something fresh out of college). By 25 most of our parents have stopped supporting us. We’re much more mature than when we graduated college, at least in the sense that we have a structure to our days that revolves around something more substantial than which classes we’ll be skipping, what we’re having for lunch, and which party we will be attending later. Yet, we don’t really feel like adults completely. We make our own money, pay our own rent, but still spend irresponsibly on pretty shoes and delicious cocktails because hey, we don’t have any other real responsibilities besides ourselves yet and we might as well enjoy it. There’s those few among us who are starting to get engaged, married, and begin the process of becoming “real” adults by buying houses, having husbands, and having babies (or at least pets).

It’s almost like we’re on some invisible border into our upper 20’s that constitutes the impending doom of really growing up. It’s funny to see how people have been coping. Some decide to totally rage and embrace the young 20’s side. Some decide to do a classy dinner to celebrate the big day. I’ve been having a bit of a birthday struggle this year of deciding whether I want to have a ridiculous, college style keg party, or whether I want to celebrate my accomplishments of the past year with dinner, then a lounge or club where there’s no risk of someone puking on my shoes, and all of the fancy drinks have names and cost way too much. Maybe I’ll do both and really embrace being on the border. I’ll just have to see what kind of mood I’m in when the big day rolls around in about a month.

One thing is for sure. For any milestone birthday, you want to be in a good place in your life. So, in the spirit of self improvement I’ve decided to give myself a little physical challenge until my birthday. If I blog it, then it must be true, so hopefully this will be a little added motivation. It will also coincide nicely with getting into spring body condition just in time for all the cute little dresses and high heels I’ve been buying lately. The plan is easy: 2 sets of 25 normal crunches, 2 sets of 25 lower ab crunches, and 15 push-ups (which will hopefully be more as I stop being such an upper body weakling) at least 5 days a week in addition to my normal fitness routines. Sticking to it, we’ll see. If you’re at my b-day celebration, you can check out my guns there. Countdown starts now.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails