Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dry shampoo, turns out it's not just for people with dirty hair.

I first tried this product when I went to Bolivia on a volunteer/cultural immersion trip in the summer of 2008. I was staying in a region of Cochabamba where there is no public water system, and the only running water in homes is provided by an expensive cistern system if you are wealthy enough to afford it. I knew before going that since water is such a pricey commodity, that I would not be washing my hair everyday, or at all, while I was there. Now, being that I have extremely fine hair that gets oily if I even look at it the wrong way, and considering that my stay would be about two weeks, I knew I needed a solution.



I had heard about the wonders of dry shampoo from other people, but frankly I didn’t believe the hype. People always said that it makes your hair look like it’s been washed without subjecting your mane to the daily sudsing up in the shower ritual. They said that using dry shampoo keeps you from drying out your hair by over-washing, and also protects color treated hair by exposing it to less opportunities to fade color and wash out pigment. I always harbored the belief that these people were just walking around with dirty hair, and continued my daily washing ritual.



However, when I ended up in circumstances that would limit my hair washing, Klorane came into my life. I figured I had nothing to lose, since I wouldn’t be washing it would be my only chance for semi-clean, semi-normal looking hair. I may be volunteering, but I don’t want to look ugly while doing it! I took the recommendation of the Ricky’s employee and went with Klorane over several other brands. He said that it is the most popular, and the most gentle of all the sprays. I also discovered today when buying a new can that it won Allure Magazine’s editor choice award.



It’s a little pricey, $18.99 for a 3.2 oz aerosol can (make sure you get the aerosol, not the pump top), but it is hypoallergenic, and contains oat extract to gently clean your hair. All you have to do is spray it onto the roots, or dirty portion of your hair from about 6 inches distance. I usually flip my head over and tousle my hair at the roots while spraying to make sure it really gets in there. Then, let it sit for a couple minutes. Hair will look slightly lighter around the roots than its normal color (think if you sprayed a fine mist of baby powder in your hair). If you’re blond, you might not even notice the color change. Finally you brush out the stuff, and it takes all the dirt and product in your hair with it. I prefer to rub it out with a clean towel, since over brushing tends to make my hair staticky.



Then you’re free to style as usual. I rediscovered my friend Klorane when I went to Bonnaroo this year, and had limited access to hair washing, once again. Yet, I still keep a can around for those days when you really need an extra 45 minutes to sleep in. It shaves a nice chunk of time off my getting ready for work routine, just a quick body shower, spray in Klorane, and you’re good to go! And, I like to think my hair is healthier for it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails