Thursday, March 11, 2010

How to make it in NYC

I love living in NYC. There is no place else I'd rather be. Most of my friends live here. I love the paradox of the fastest moving city that take at least a half hour to get anywhere on public transportation. I love the people who are so used to weird shit happening all around them that they probably wouldn't blink an eye if a subway beggar was dying at their feet. I love the live music happening everywhere, all the time. I love the convenience that nearly anything you are looking for can be found at any time of day, and most likely delivered. I love that no matter my pleasure, no matter the time, no matter the day of the week I can go out and get wild and there will be tons of other people doing the same. Most of all, I love the fascinating conglomeration of people from all over the world bringing their culture, their language, their fun, and their motivations to enrich the lives of all of us living here.

Last night I was watching HBO's new series How to Make it in America. Then I was talking to my lovely roommate about how well it represents NYC life. People are constantly hustling any way they can think of to make it here, in the city that never sleeps, the big apple, the empire state, my home.

It's an interesting thing though, in a city so diverse. Most people are here for similar reasons, the lovely common thread between us all that lets New Yorkers come together despite a sea of vast differences. After day dreaming about how much I love it here, and why I moved here for the better part of my work day, I came up with four. They pretty much sum it up. People move here....


1. For the pure excitement and dazzle of the city lights.
2. To make it. To work hard, succeed, and make it big in the city where anything is possible. Us NYers, we're an ambitious bunch.
3. For the scene, be it hipster, club hopper, fashionista, music lover, or foodie.
4. OR because they are total weirdos and they know this is the only place they have any chance of blending in, or at least people will become desensitized to them and stop paying attention after a while.

That pretty much sums it up.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails