Monday, March 22, 2010

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

And no, I'm not referring to Christmastime, though that is my favorite holiday season. I'm talking about the one time a year (usually in the Spring) depending on your geographical region when girl scout cookies are on sale in front of your local supermarket, in the mall, and if you're lucky enough to work with a troop leader you can even get them at your place of business. Though they may be high in calorie, I figure I'm going to eat dessert anyways. Why not make it go to a good cause?
I was a girlscout for many many years of my life, and I recently signed up to volunteer with the Girl Scouts of NYC, so it is a treat near and dear to my heart, made all the more special by the fact that you can only have it once a year. As long as I can remember Samoas have been my favorite, for their coconutty, caramelly, chocolatey goodness, though Do-si-Do's are a VERY close seciond. I would have to say that Tagalongs come in third, and then thin mints, even though I'm not typically a fan of the chocolate and mint combination. I like Girl Scout cookies plain, with milk, and even frozen. They're good any way you serve them.
Yet Edy's ice cream has come up with the most magnificent idea of all, not cookies crushed on ice cream, not cookies with milk or frozen cookies, but all of the above! Frozen, mixed into an ice cream particularly blended to bring out the cookies' deliciousness and complement their flavors. It, like the cookies, is only available once a year, and in select locations. I've seen it in Target and in Hannaford, though it sells out quickly. If you see some, be sure to snap up at least 2 half gallons because I guarantee when you finish the first you will regret it if you don't have another one waiting.
It comes in Samoa, Tagalong, and Thin Mint (that I've seen, though there may be more varieties out there), and each one is delicious in its own right. The Samoa, of course, is the best. It is even good in the slow-churned, lower-calorie version, but less creamy than the Original. It's like a little spoonful of heaven. Now, if they'd only make one in Do-si-do. Get it while it lasts!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails