Monday, March 21, 2011

AIDS Walk NY

I registered for AIDS Walk New York and am very excited! It is the second time I'm walking, with a team of 3 of my friends from college (I'm almost as excited for the cool team shirts we're bound to make, with Puffy paint! and glitter!). You'll remember from this post, that last time I walked I spotted Lourdes (Madonna's daughter) and her hottie dad. Annddd from this post that Hilary Duff walked in 2009 too! Bottom line is, I want to do as much as I can to make a difference in the lives of people living with HIV and AIDS, and have some fun while doing it. My team has fundraising goal of $1000. My personal fundraising goal is $300. If you feel a connection to this cause, I would greatly appreciate your help reaching it!

The AIDS Walk New York is the world's largest AIDS fundraising event. It occurs on Sunday, May 15th, 2011, and is 6.2 miles long looping through Central Park, and along the edges of the city. All donations support GMHC and other AIDS service organizations in the tri-state area. GMHC is the nation’s oldest and most comprehensive AIDS service organization, serving approximately 15,000 people living with HIV and AIDS and their families each year, and countless more through its prevention and advocacy work locally and nationally.

Even though there has been success with drug treatments that are prolonging some people's lives, they don't work for everyone. These treatments can also take their toll physically, and for many cause awful side-effects. I am also concerned that so many young people in New York City are getting infected. There is a dire need for comprehensive prevention programs and services that target youth in their language. And above all, there is still no cure in sight.

I would really appreciate your help. If you would like to make a donation, and sponsor me, use this link below to visit my personal fundraising Web page. Please feel free to share the link with anyone you think might want to make a donation.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails