Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Knish-nosh

Oh the knish, the first food I ever ate on the streets of NYC. Though I still don't know how to pronounce it properly--is it kah-nish, is the k silent? I just don't know! Knishes hold a special place in my heart.

I tried one for the first time when I was on a 5th grade field trip to NYC. I was in line to go to Ellis Island. An appropriate place to be introduced to knishes if I do say so myself, since they were brought to the US, specifically the Lower East Side by Russian immigrants to this fabulous city. Now they're practically symbolic of typical NY fare. Many a day on my walk home from work I found myself veering into central park to grab a knish for the walk from the vendor in my path. They come in all shapes and flavors, and are best with a little yellow mustard to dip in if you ask me. The little potato pockets are perfect for a cold fall day with easy to eat, hot, stick to your ribs sort of food.


Conveniently, NYC food crawl is hosting a Knish crawl tonight. It's free to attend, you just pay as you eat. The dollar tag is only dependent on how many knishes you can put away. It starts at 6:30pm, and the meet up spot is on the Southwest corner of Tompkins Square Park. You can taste and rate your favorite knishes. Potato, spinach, and buckwheat are on the list of flavors available. Check it out, and nosh on some knishes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails